KLA's Approach to Sustainability Values, Equitable Community Engagement, and Scalable Solutions Honored by APA's Sustainable Communities Division
We are so proud of this award and of all that we’ve accomplished on our quest to save the planet one community at a time. This award reflects the innovative approach our team brings to each project, our deep commitment to sustainability and the incredible partnerships we have formed with local governments across the country. Our clients are the true leaders, and we are proud to resource them and, along the way, support other cities, towns and counties pursuing sustainability and climate action solutions.
KLA churns out regular resources, best practices, headlines, webinars and more:
- Join one of our Climate Solutions Series webinars (there's one of the Circular Economy next Tuesdaay 6/22).
- Follow us on Twitter and connect with us on LinkedIn.
- Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter. Each month in 2021 we’re focusing on a different aspect of the climate action planning process.
- Listen to previous episodes of our Sustainability Action Series podcast.
- Check out some of our client projects.
- Download free resources we’ve developed like our Street Teams Guide and Equitable Engagement RFP guide.
- Access our Communications Boot Camp resources, including a social media planning calendar, presentations checklist, and branding guidelines
We’ve pulled some excerpts from our awards nomination that we feel capture why KLA took home the Leadership in Sustainability Award of Excellence this year:
- "Integrating Equitable Engagement Into Your RFP Process", the KLA approach sets planners and their projects up for success by considering equity from the very beginning. This includes paying local equity partners and ambassadors and bringing community-based organizations onto the consultant team.
- identify champions, timelines, funding resources, key partners, metrics, and other components essential to make these actions into a reality.
navigates conversations to uncover root issues and address them. By considering all perspectives, the community can develop a truly comprehensive and actionable plan. KLA’s equitable engagement approach includes:
- Inclusive, equitable, empowering process. KLA understands a community’s strength comes from its diversity and the inclusion of all community members. This starts with hiring paid Street Teams partnering with community-based organizations who have established trusted relationships on the ground (like The Kheprw Institute for Thrive Indianapolis and Beverly Main Streets, Harborlight Community Partners and Beverly Bootstraps for Resilient Together) and can represent and reach the voices you need to hear.
- Building local capacity. KLA empowers clients by actively involving them in climate planning initiatives, providing toolkits and trainings, and solidifying partnerships so that clients benefit from, but are not dependent on, KLA’s expertise.
- Spark and maintain ongoing conversations. KLA works with the client and key stakeholders to develop a community engagement strategy that is focused on creating and enhancing opportunities for ongoing climate conversations with all members of the community – especially those with conflicting views or who are part of traditionally marginalized groups -- from planning to implementation and beyond.